22 Feb 2012

New green woodwork

Last weekend I went to a great little gathering at Charlie Whinneys (http://www.charliewhinney.com) near Grange-over-Sands in Cumbria. It was about getting greenwood workers and designers together to see if we could  design some products, made of greenwood, that are a bit more contemporary rather than rely on the rustic aesthetic that greenwood products quite often have.

The weekend was funded and organized by Grizedale Arts (http://www.grizedale.org) and all credit to them for having the vision to do so.

I drove up on the Friday afternoon, and of course got caught in the Manchester rush hour traffic. The trip was only made less tedious by the numerous recordings I had of the Danny Baker show. I arrived, as one tend to do, in Kendal, which was quiet and dark. I checked in to the Youth Hostel and went to my bed. The next day I saw Kendal and it was stunning (I will definitely go back there). After loading the car with my tools I drove to Charlie's studio which was about eight miles away. Even though we were at the southern part of the Lake district the views made the drive worthwhile. At the studio, a converted stone barn, there was people gathered around a stone doorway which was a tiny local walkers cafe/rest-stop. It was basically a small room with a couple of kettles, toasters and a fridge but the tea was welcome.

The other participants ranged from Windsor chair makers, basket weavers, coppice workers, cabinet makers and designers. We started the day with a quick introduction from Charlie Whinney who appears to be a bundle of positive energy with a great can-do attitude. We then had a quick show and tell session and then off into groups for a collaborative exercise using jam jars. On hand to help was Owen Jones (http://www.oakswills.co.uk) a very amiable man with great skill and knowledge. The group I was with started to design a light which was to be covered in woven oak strips.



The coppice workers had been there for a day or so and had gathered a range of materials including Yew, Hazel and Ash and it was with some of this wonderful slow grown Ash that I did my first bit of turning of the day, a connecting block for the two jars within the woven outer.

After lunch (beef curry and rice) we went to Blackwell, the art and craft house at Bowness-on-Windermere (http://www.blackwell.org.uk) A most beautiful house which is well worth a few visits. We attended a conference with talks from:

 Dr Kathy Haslam (Blackwell’s Curator) - The philosophy and politics of the Arts & Crafts Movement and its contemporary relevance.
Ray Leigh - Gordon Russell: The Broadway Adventure (chairman of the Gordon Russell Trust, and former Design Director and Managing Director of Gordon Russell Ltd).
A keynote speech was given by product designer, Michael Marriott.
We had some time to explore this amazing house and its contents and all I can say is WOW!

It was while I was looking around that I came across this rather dinky looking door stop and I thought that it would be a good starting point to make with a contemporary style.


After the conference we drove about ten miles to Halecat House, I don't know much about it but from what I can gather, a very generous man/couple (not sure of details) allowed us to use the house for a designers meal where all the greenwood workers and designers could relax and chat and enjoy a meal together. It was magical, a large log fire and warm welcoming hosts. The meal was wondrous and plentiful and I spent a fantastic few hours talking shop to many interesting people.

Sunday was a day of intense work at the studio working on team and individual projects. I made some jewelry from a piece of yew and had a go at recreating the door stop.

Yew knuckle duster ring


First iteration of door stop, ash base and steam bent oak 

As is always the way with these thing there is never enough time but it was a great creative day. At six I left for the long drive back. On Tuesday, and still geed up, I had another go at the door stop




Not bad for an hours work

All in all a great weekend with some talented and interesting folk, I must give a special mention to Steve Tomlin (http://stevetomlincrafts.wordpress.com) and Owen Jones (http://www.oakswills.co.uk/) for being so generous with technical help.







No comments:

Post a Comment