21 Aug 2012

Little Beech spoon

At spoonfest I attended a workshop run by Steve Tomlin http://stevetomlincrafts.wordpress.com/ One of his words of wisdom was to buy spoons we liked and to try and copy them as a learning exercise, in retrospect this seems a bit obvious but the idea had passed me by in the past.

With this in mind I decided that if I sold any spoons at spoonfest I would then reinvest in a spoon I had fallen in love with. Well I did sell a couple and bought the little beech spoon by Martin Damen  www.martin-damen.co.uk  that is shown below.

There were a lot of spoons I would have liked but this one was whispering "buy me buy me and lie about the price to the wife" well I didn't have to lie to the wife as it was only £15 and the price was on the ticket so she would have caught me out anyway.

So what is it about this spoon that tickled-me-fancy? well I love the shape, it's simple but also has an underlying elegance. Steve also talked about balance and proportion and I think this spoon has both in the positive, subjective I know but hey it was my £15 so for me it works.

I am going to try and copy it and I will post the results when I have done so.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment